The front of the Alcatel-Lucent Technologies building in Lisle, which Navistar plans to make its International Headquarters. The move is thought to create over three thousand permanent jobs, and $5 million annually to the local economy.
By David Weese
On March 11, Navistar Chief Executive Officer Dan Ustian held a breakfast meeting at the Lisle Hilton with 300 local business leaders and other members of the community to clarify his company’s plans for moving its world headquarters to the 88-acre Alcatel-Lucent Technologies campus in Lisle.
When Navistar announced plans last summer to move its corporate headquarters to the mammoth and now empty Alcatel-Lucent building in Lisle, it was believed the ballyhooed deal would be wrapped up by March.
As the end of the month looms, completion of the move is hardly wrapped up.
This week, the Board of Directors of the Naperville Area Chamber of Commerce gave their official endorsement to Navistar’s proposal to establish its World Headquarters in Lisle.
The Naperville Chamber now joins the Lisle Area Chamber of Commerce in the Jobs for Lisle Coalition, a network of DuPage County businesses, organizations and individuals who support Navistar’s plans to create or retain more than 7,000 jobs and the resulting economic benefits to the region.
Visit our Action Center to send a message of support to the DuPage County Board and Forest Preserve District Representatives.
Now is the time to show support for a company that’s trying to do the right thing by moving its World Headquarters to Lisle. This move is critical to our economy, and Navistar has a solid track record of working with its neighbors and promoting sound environmental practices. To reject this plan will ensure that other businesses stay away from the once vaunted I-88 tech corridor.
Why Support Navistar?
- There will be 3,100 full-time workers at the Navistar World Headquarters with the potential to grow to 4,150. Of that 3,100 – 1,400 are jobs retained by DuPage County, 1,700 are jobs new to DuPage County and 800-1,000 are jobs new to Illinois.
- Navistar will create hundreds of jobs in construction as it builds out the campus for its future needs.
- Navistar’s plan is what our economy needs. Illinois unemployment is among the highest in the nation. Navistar is trying to build a World Headquarters and Integrated Product Development Center, a source of pride for most cities, and keep good-paying jobs in the United States.
- Being at the forefront of good environmental practices and technology has long been a Navistar priority, that’s why the company has won more than 100 awards for its environmental commitment. But under the rules set up by Navistar’s opponents, many businesses in Lisle should not be allowed to operate.
- Navistar has a long history of being a good neighbor and will work with the community.
- If this plan is rejected, other companies will see there is no longer a commitment to the I-88 tech corridor and that good corporate citizens are not recognized or valued.
Keep checking back for updates and information on how you can help support Navistar in their bid to bring jobs and tax dollars to our region.